Longstone the second century 1904-2014
Before 1904 children in the area attended the Upper Largy School which is still to be found about 200 metres from the present building.
In 1904 the school was inspected and the management committee were informed by the inspectorate that the building needed extensive renovations. The committee decided that it would be unwise to spend money on this building so they decided to look for a suitable site on which to build their new school. They bought the site on which the school now stands from Mr James Marshall a local farmer.
Just one month after this Mr Thomas McMeekin a County Councillor and also a member of the school committee offered to pay for building and equipping the new school.
The school opened in August 1905
Longstone continues to serve the community 105 years later. Here we have a safe caring environment where everyone in the school community (pupils, staff, parents and visitors is valued and treated with respect. It has always been our intention to make Longstone a happy school where every child is given the chance to attain his/her full potential.
The Board of Governors, parents and the staff of the school demonstrate their dedication to longstone by working together continually and tirelessly to ensure the school meets the needs of all its pupils.